Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Outside Reading: Emblems of Ireland: The Shamrock

leprachaun Pictures, Images and Photos



A culture that I have always been interested in is the Irish culture, everything from the music to the holidays and special events. The most commonly associated symbol with the Irish is the shamrock, which is what my article was about. I found this article interesting first of all because of my interest in Irish culture, but also because the shamrock didn't really become associated with Ireland until the 17th century. This article discussed the history of the shamrock, but also a common misconception about the shamrock. Most people would think a shamrock is an actual plant, but it actually isn't. The four major plants associated with the shamrock are the white clover, small hop clover, and wood sorrel, or oxalis. I would really enjoy to to visit Ireland someday, until then I get to learn about the culture, especially the music.

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/AEmblem/Shamrock.html

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Gold Mining Companies. Powered by Blogger