Sunday, March 1, 2009

Outside Reading: Welcome To Bollywood


For our "Bollywood" theme, I chose to read a National Geographic article on Bollywood, first of all because it is about Bollywood, but also it is from National Geographic, which is a very reliable source of information. I thought it was interesting how the article opened. It opened up describing a scene to a movie, and after seeing a Bollywood film, it triggered many mental images from the few Bollywood films I've seen. The article gives a background on the director of the film, Yash Chopra, with a brief description of the general idea of the film. Personally, I find Bollywood films to have their pros and cons. I dislike how there has to be a certain amount of dance and musical numbers, although some of them I enjoy, I think its ridiculous to have some set standard...for musical numbers. Another thing I don't like is the predictability of the movies. Yes, to an extent most movies are predictable, but sometimes you can almost even predict the script, word for word. One thing I do sort of enjoy is the tension that is built by having the characters not kiss. Most Americans, especially teens, are used to seeing movie characters kiss, and frequently, a lot in more as well. Having them almost kiss, but then have the movie end or the scene change threw me for a spin, and overall I think it adds a unique quality to the film.

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Gold Mining Companies. Powered by Blogger