Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Outside Reading: A Walk In the Woods

I started reading the book "A Walk In the Woods" by Bill Bryson, a couple months ago. Casual summer reading typically doesn't work very well with me; in other words, I forget about it. Recently I restarted reading it and tonight, just finished the novel. I chose to write about it not only because it is the only "blog worthy" text I've read, but because the author wrote it after he hiked the Appalachian Trail.
The book takes a while to focus on the preparation for the journey, from explaining the dangers, to required equipment. After Bill made the decision to make the journey, he did some research about the climate, terrain, and wildlife. Bears were mentioned numerous times, so Bill built up a small fear of being attacked by a bear while on the trail. The books he read described horrifying bear incidents along with what to do, and what not to do around all different types of bears. Along with researching about the trail, he had to prepare for it, which meant buying the right gear. This section of the book shows how easy it is to be deceived and sucked into impulse buying. The sales clerk shows him all kinds of bags and accouterments, but made it appear that to survive his trip, Bill would have to get a special bag, extra straps and other gear. After a while Bill sort of zoned out, and ended up spending a massively large amount of money on some equipment that he most likely didn't need. Later on in the book he realizes he fell victim to the rush of impulse buying.
Bill knew he couldn't stand to do the whole trip by himself, so he invited an old friend named "Katz" to join him. When Katz arrived in the airport Bill was surprised to see a pudgy man eating candy. Throughout his journey, Bill makes it clear to the reader that planning ahead is very important. Katz would constantly lag behind, slowing Bill down, and complain about whatever there was to complain about. Bill jumped into this whole event a little unprepared, yes of course he knew about the trail and had the right equpitment, but he really wasn't ready. Personally I enjoy to do spontaneous things, but when something important is aproaching I make sure to plan ahead. For example, my mother knows about the possibility of alcohol at parties and she trusts that I wont go to a party that knowingly will have some. If I ever did, well lets just say I wouldn't need to worry about going to any parties anymore. I plan ahead, and find out who is going to be there, and whether or not it is a smart choice to go ahead and go or to stay home. Multiple times this has saved me, along with my social life. Even though the alcohol issue isn't directly related to Bill Bryson's journey, the message given by Bill about planning ahead, applies to most every teens life.
The main reason I actually enjoyed this book is because the author was down to earth and a real person. I really dislike when an author tries to sound superior or something they're not; Bill Bryson presented his journey on the Appalachain Trail in a way I think many guys would truly enjoy to read.

For info on Bill Bryson and his book A Walk In the Woods, click here

Image from "http://www.chrismasto.com/delicious/images/197"

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Gold Mining Companies. Powered by Blogger