Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Graphic Novel: Post #3 - General Discussion

In my last two posts I haven't been focusing mainly on the graphic novel because I was attempting to prove my point that the book is almost a whole different story. Now, however, I will focus on the graphic novel. What i want to discuss, and also what I have found to be most interesting and surprising to me, is the tone and/or mood of the book. the book is actually very dark, and doesn't hesitate to discuss very "taboo" topics. A reoccurring struggle Neville deals with is his lust for women, and since the only women are vampires, he can't satisfy this want.  This is brought on by the vampires trying to lure him out by having the women be overly promiscuous and show their body parts to Neville, trying to get he best of him. I found this interesting, not in a necessarily typical manor; I thought that how the author went into such depth with Neville’s thoughts, and the battle between his minds “hypothalamus” (thank you St. Olaf ‘s human sexuality course) which is the part of ones brain that “drives” one’s sex drive (of course the cerebral cortex is what allows you to fantasize and what not) and his frontal cortex (which controls ones thinking and reasoning)…. Now that I have explained that, I shall rephrase it as well, “ the battle between his minds hypothalamus and frontal cortex”. It was actually significantly disturbing thinking about the situation afterwards. Even the thought crossing his mind of losing his life just to have sex in a way, shows our human instincts in a somewhat pure form, if the word “pure” can even be used in relation with this sentence. I don't think the author will allow him to give into these temptations, just because the way it would change the plot, but I do think, in real life, that somebody with Neville's personality,and situation, would eventually give in to their natural instincts. sadly, it would most likely be a male, I'm not being sexist, it's just men are more attracted to physical objects, and that's the only thing the vampires have to offer. 

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Gold Mining Companies. Powered by Blogger